Well, we finally have a new CNE. How does it look? At first sight, not great:
- Tibisay Lucena: Only re-appointed CNE member, has always voted faithfully alongside Jorge Rodriguez. Government cadre.
- Sandra Oblitas: Until now head of CNE’s Caracas office, she signed to ask for the recall of opposition Assembly-members and has contributed to pro-Chavez newspaper Proceso. Government cadre.
- German Yepez Contreras: UCV history prof, current subsitute CNE member, Aporrea poster, nominated by the “Moral Branch.” Government cadre.
- Janeth Hernandez: Maracucha political science prof, some of her academic writing makes her seem sensible. Hard to pin down.
- Vicente Diaz Silva: Sociologist, Noticiero Digital poster. Token opposition guy. The new Solbella Mejias.
So, that’s the score…three chavistas, one opposition, one not-immediately-peggable-downable.
How will this fearsome fivesome act? We’ll have to see. The widely rumored choice of Lucena as chairwoman is not a good sign. But I’d say to watch the voting pattern: if you start seeing a lot of 3-to-2 decisions, that’s bad. If they start holding meetings without letting Diaz Silva know (like they were doing with Solbella) – that’s bad.
(Incidentally, Noticiero Digital had great fun noting that pro-Chavez daily Panorama scooped the National Assembly on its own vote!)
Caracas Chronicles is 100% reader-supported.
Support independent Venezuelan journalism by making a donation.Donate