I have no idea what it could be, but according to well-placed sources (i.e., people shooting off on Twitter) it has to do with an important defection from chavismo.
I’ll be live-blogging (Sorry, I can’t find a feed online, and apparently it includes a 50-minute video, so I’ll just tweet about it here) the announcement by opposition Congressman Ismael García.
It’s hard to imagine what could possibly justify so much build-up. In the meantime, here is the list of what I think would be the top ten most dramatic defections:
- Tibisay Lucena, announcing she can’t cover up for chavistas any more, and breaking down in tears;
- Diosdado Cabello, finally revealing that he loves capitalism;
- Francisco Arias Cárdenas, because that’s just what he does;
- José Vielma Mora, because you can’t really be a chavista governor in a State that voted for Capriles over Maduro by 20+ points;
- Luisa Estella Morales, because she was passed over;
- Henry Rangel Silva, revealing the secrets of the narco-generals;
- José Vicente Rangel, because it would be so evil of him;
- Jorge Giordani, accepting he doesn’t know what he’s doing;
- Winston Vallenilla, whoever that is; and finally
- Maria Gabriela Chávez.
What do you expect of today’s announcement? Let-down or game-changer? Shoot off in the Comments section.
Caracas Chronicles is 100% reader-supported.
Support independent Venezuelan journalism by making a donation.Donate