It’s funny how Minister Elías Jaua hasn’t fully realized how broke we are.
Last week, the Minister, along with Infrastructure Minister Haiman El-Troudi, gave a bloated press conference where he announced $5 billion in new infrastructure this year. Among other things, he promised:
- 300,000 new homes;
- the completion of 354,775 homes whose construction is already under way (I guess the 354,776th one will have to wait until next year);
- 20 new Metrobus-type mass transit systems;
- the conclusion of the Highway to the East;
- 13 new trains for the Tuy Valley Train System;
- 4 new subway stations: one in Caracas, one in Los Teques, and two in Valencia; and as a result
- 734,000 direct jobs, and 1.12 million indirect jobs.
Of course, El Universal published this without a hint of criticism.
These guys make the job of solopromesas.com somewhat redundant.Caracas Chronicles is 100% reader-supported. Support independent Venezuelan journalism by making a donation.